A Requirements Traceability Matrix is defined as the listing of every SINGLE requirement stated in the SRS including its page and paragraph number. The matrix ensures that all the requirements of the RFP are addressed so that project tracking and any change request can be easily done along with analyzing if there is any gap in the software that is been developed & the actual requirement, thus facilitating gap analysis.
The entries made in the matrix can be linked to various entities such as diagrams, text specifications, and test procedures. The matrix ca be created using many tools which may include requirements management software, databases, spreadsheets, or even with tables or hyperlinks in a word processor.
Following steps needs to be followed to prepare a requirement traceability matrix:
1. Create a template.
2. Transfer the exact requirement based on the SRS/BRD/RFP
3. Assign each requirement with a unique ID.
4. Assign each Use Case a unique ID and insert it in the matrix (if it is been prepared)
5. Insert the test case Id into the traceability matrix.
6. Review the data and the matrix is ready.
Following is the list of Requirements Management Software that can be used to generate requirement tracebility matrix:
DOORS & DOORSrequireIT
Mac A&D and Win A&D
Open Source RM
Requirements Mgmt Database
Requirement Tracing System
Tiger PRO (free)